Types of Knee Pain
Are you experiencing unexplained knee pain? We at Manhattan Sports Therapy can help! Knee pain can be rooted in a laundry list of causes. With these differentiated causes come several symptoms as well as treatment options. Many knee injuries can be treated with sports medicine in Manhattan.
Knee pain can be traced back to
- Sudden Injury – This could be from falling down while playing a sport and landing on your knee improperly.
- Overuse Injury – Perhaps you go on daily runs and your knee is worn down.
- Underlying Condition – You may have an underlying condition such as arthritis.
Symptoms of a Knee Injury
- Swelling and stiffness
- Warm to the touch
- Weakness or instability
- Inability to fully straighten the knee
Depending on the reason your knee is causing you pain, you may receive different forms of treatment with sports medicine in Manhattan.
- After an evaluation of your injury, your doctor may recommend that you wear a knee brace or keep off your knee for a certain period of time.
- You may complete several exercises in physical therapy, such as
- Hamstring curls
- Straight knee raises
- Wall squats
- Calf raises
- Step ups
- You may have to spend some time not using the knee at all.
- Apply knee compressions to control swelling.
- If your knee is swollen, try applying ice for 20-30 minutes every few hours.
- Note that a knee injury could potentially heal on its own if it is a ligament injury. You may just need to allow some time for the knee to heal back to its normal function. With sports medicine in Manhattan you will be able to heal more efficiently and effectively.
There are several ways to prevent knee pain. If you have a knee injury, try to use these precautions to prevent getting injured again:
- Warm up – Never jump right into a workout or any intense physical activity without warming up first! To warm up, perhaps jog in place or do some jumping jacks. Remember to stay light on your knees.
- Stretch – Ensure that you stretch after every workout.
- Don’t overdo it – If you are feeling fatigued in your knee during physical activity, don’t try to push through the pain. You will do more harm than good.
- Hydrate – Hydration does wonders for injury prevention!
If you have a knee injury, contact our sports therapy in Manhattan today!