What Are The Symptoms Of Low Back Pain?
The lower back is a complex structure designed to provide support and flexibility to your back and upper body. Because of this, it is vulnerable to injury. If you are experiencing low back pain, our chiropractor in New York City at Manhattan Sports Therapy can help.
Structure & Function Of The Lower Back
The lumbar spine, or the lower back, is made up of joining bones, muscles, ligaments, nerves, and joints all interconnected and working together. Each of the structures of the lumbar spine has a specific function:
- Bones – protect and support the spinal cord and spinal nerves.
- Joints – contain discs that act as shock absorbers.
- Ligaments – connect bones and provide strength and stability.
- Tendons – connect the muscles to the bones.
- Muscles – support and move the spine.
If any of these components become injured or torn, it can cause pain and discomfort. If you are suffering from lumbar spine pain, our chiropractor in New York City at Manhattan Sports Therapy can devise a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
Symptoms Of Lower Back Pain
Most low back pain is caused by injury to the muscles, ligaments, joints, or discs. Depending on the cause, symptoms may include:
- Dull or achy constant pain that is contained to the low back
- Stinging or burning pain that moves from the low back down the legs and into the lower legs or feet (sciatica)
- Muscle spasms and tightness in the low back, pelvis, and hips
- Pain that worsens after prolonged sitting or standing
Common Causes Of Lower Back Pain
Acute back pain comes on suddenly and often as a result of an injury, while chronic back pain is pain that lasts more than three months. Some common causes of low back pain are:
- Injury or fall in which one or more of the lower back structures are damaged
- Heavy lifting or muscle strain
- A disc that bulges or ruptures
- Bad posture
- Consistently carrying a heavy backpack
- Sitting in a chair all day that does not provide proper support
How Can We Help?
At Manhattan Sports Therapy, our chiropractor in New York City can treat your low back injury. Our dedicated team of experts can provide cutting-edge diagnostics, chiropractic care, and injury prevention services designed to restore mobility and to improve function. Don’t wait for your back pain to get worse. Contact us today to make an appointment and relieve your pain.