The doctors at Manhattan Sports Therapy are trained spinal specialists based in New York City, who can diagnose the cause of your chronic pain. They use the latest therapy techniques to resolve the problem. Below are common questions they get from prospective clients interested in Neck Pain Treatment.
- What Causes Neck Pain?
Stress on the cervical (upper) spine can lead to neck problems, such as reduced mobility and pain. Several common causes of neck pain include:
- Sports injury
- Physical labor
- Repetitive activity and overuse
- General wear and tear
- Improper sleep support
- Medical conditions or disease
- What Is The Most Common Cause Of Neck Pain?
One of the most common causes of neck pain is Upper Cross(ed) Syndrome. Also known as “Tech Neck or Text Neck”. This is a new condition as a result of poor posture, because of the lean forward to check your text. The human head weighs about 12-15 pounds. When it moves forward to look at a phone or computer, the added weight puts a strain on the neck and upper back. It’s common in students and office workers. Also in those who spend long periods of time sitting or slouching.
- How Do You Relieve Neck Pain?
If you suffer from neck pain or injury, here are some pain relief and prevention methods to try at home or work:
- Maintain proper posture, focusing on head and shoulder alignment whenever possible.
- Take frequent breaks from your desk or other repetitive activity for stretching. Usually in a slow range of motion, moving your head up and down, left and right, ear to ear.
- Establish an ergonomic workstation by adjusting your chair or computer height.
- Adjust your sleep position from on your stomach, to on your side or back, and use a firm mattress or pillow for support.
- Apply a hot or cold compress to the affected area.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever to help with acute neck pain.
- Massage the affected area by applying gentle pressure in a circular motion.
- Avoid holding the phone between your head and shoulder.
- What Are The Symptoms Of Neck Pain?
Neck pain can range from sharp and shooting, to stiff and achy. You may experience a limited range of motion that prevents you from turning or tilting your head or lowering your chin to your chest. Pain or numbness can also radiate to the shoulders and arms, leading to more serious conditions.
- What Are Treatments For Neck Pain?
Physical therapy and chiropractic care will relieve your neck pain and improve its function. Doctors will test your neck mobility and pain level to customize a treatment plan that will help ease and prevent neck pain from coming back.
Dr. Nemirovsky offers these effective treatments:
- Active Release Technique® (ART)
- Cold-Laser Light Therapy
- Graston Technique®
- State-of-the-Art Cox Flexion Distraction
- Kinesiology Taping
- What Happens If I Don’t Treat Neck Pain?
If neck pain is left untreated, the pain will increase and spread to your shoulders, arms, and spine. This can lead to more serious conditions like herniated discs, headaches and insomnia can also manifest if left untreated.
- How Long Does Neck Pain Last?
Acute neck pain usually resolves itself within 1 to 2 weeks. If neck pain lasts for more than 2 months, it is considered chronic neck pain and should be treated immediately.
- When Should I See A Doctor For Neck Pain?
If neck pain continues for more than a couple of weeks or gets in the way of your daily activities, see a doctor.
- Top 10 Most Common Types Of Neck Pain:
- Arthritis of the spine and large joints
- Cervical degenerative disc disease
- Cervical herniated disc
- Cervical nerve compression
- Cervical sprain or strain
- Cervical or foraminal stenosis
- Muscle strain or neck sprain
- Pinched Nerve
- Upper Cross Syndrome (UCS)
- Whiplash or Whiplash-Associated Disorder
Manhattan Sports Therapy is a state-of-the-art facility located in New York City. Our clients range from professional athletes to everyday New Yorkers.
We are proud to offer the latest techniques and treatments for the benefit of our valued patients.