Workplace / Station Ergonomics
Research-Based Sports Medicine in Manhattan
At Manhattan Sports Therapy we are dedicated not only to providing pain-relieving therapies, but also preventing injuries from occurring in the first place. As a New York physical therapist, Dr. Nemirovsky stresses the importance of healthy habits that preserve the natural function of joints, muscles, and other soft tissue. Patients often integrate these strategies into their active pursuits but overlook them in other day to day activities. For example, adults spend a great deal of time at work. The way we work, especially in regards to repetitive tasks, can have a significant health impact on our body, both in the short and long term.
What Is Ergonomics?
Ergonomics can encompass a wide range of workplace safety factors. Dr. Nemirovsky instructs patients on how workstations and work tasks can be improved for optimal prevention of injury or strain to the musculoskeletal system. For patients with existing conditions, various modifications can be made to help reduce pain, avoid further injury, and maintain productivity.
What Are Common Ergonomic Risk Factors?
- Ergonomic issues are present in nearly all jobs, regardless of the level of strenuous activity involved. Jobs requiring any of these functions can cause injury or strain to joints and muscles:
- The prolonged exertion of hands, particularly if repetitive and forceful
- Office work that requires sitting at a desk all day
- Frequent heavy lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling
- Awkward postures maintained for long periods of time
- Exposure to cold conditions or constant vibration
Proven Treatments, Happy Patients
“I found Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky through a web search, and it turned out to be the best decision I’d ever made. It took less than a month of treatment before my headaches stopped and my running shoes were back on. By the end of 4 months, my symptoms were completely gone – I NEVER thought that would happen! Dr. Rolland knew exactly what he was doing and helped me more than I ever thought possible.” – Tina, Former Patient
Tips for Optimizing Workplace Conditions
If you spend long periods of time at a desk, consider this ergonomic checklist to protect your muscles and joints:
Pay Attention to Posture
- Avoid leaning forward over desk; move keyboard and monitor closer
- Keep wrists at a neutral angle; wrists supports may help
- Place monitor straight in front of you or turn chair to align your head with your monitor to avoid twisting your neck
Adjust Your Chair
- Find the right chair height to allow arms and wrists to rest at the keyboard in a neutral position
- Allow two inches of space between the back of your knees and the edge of your seat
- Adjust backrest for lower back support; add a pillow or foam roll if needed
Make Sure You See Clearly:
- Be sure monitor is at a comfortable distance to see clearly without straining
- Adjust monitor or chair height so first line of text is just below eye level
- Adjust lighting and monitor placement to minimize glare
- Keep screen clean and set contrast and brightness to your comfort level
- Use a document holder close to screen to avoid repetitive neck movement and strain
For patients with more actively demanding job functions, Dr. Nemirovsky can work with you to assess the duties you perform and recommend improvements or modifications that can help you avoid strain and prevent discomfort. Ready to talk to a Manhattan sports medicine expert? Give our office a call now.
Treating Athletes & Patients Throughout NY
Meet Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky
Dr. Nemirovsky proudly treats elite athletes, celebrities, and patients throughout the New York area. Even if you consider yourself as an everyday exercise enthusiast, our Board Certified therapist understands your goals, and most importantly, understands your fitness level. Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky has undergone all the necessary hours of training needed to performance the most cutting-edge practices in sports injury treatment and prevention.