Answering Your Questions about Shoulder Pain
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
How Do You Relieve Shoulder Pain?
- Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medication like aspirin and ibuprofen will help reduce inflammation in the shoulder.
- Hot and/or cold compress relaxes the muscle and numbs the pain. Apply a heating pad or ice pack for 15 – 20 minutes every few hours For heat, use a heated gel pack or hot water bottle. For cold, use a frozen gel pack, ice cubes in a plastic bag, or a bag of frozen peas.
- Rest and gentle movement of the affected shoulder is important for reducing pain and keeping the muscle strong and flexible. Perform mild stretches like the pendulum and overhead shoulder stretch.
- Adjust your sleeping position from your stomach to on your back to keep the shoulders aligned. You can also try sleeping on the side opposite of your bad shoulder.
- Improve your posture by maintaining a 90-degree elbow angle when using the computer
What Are The Symptoms Of Shoulder Pain?
When Should I See A Doctor For Shoulder Pain?
- If pain persists even with rest and medication and affects your daily life like getting dressed.
- Shoulder pain has gone and come back.
- A separation or dislocation of the shoulder that feels like it could slide out.
What’s The Best Treatment For Shoulder Pain?
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Joint manipulation
- Strength and stretching exercises
How Long Does Shoulder Pain Last?
What Are The Most Common Types Of Shoulder Pain Or Injury?
- Biceps Tendonitis
- Frozen Shoulder (Adhesive Capsulitis)
- Impingement Syndrome or Shoulder Impingement
- Osteoarthritis or arthritis
- Pitcher’s Shoulder, Swimmer’s Shoulder, Tennis Shoulder
- Pre- and Post-Surgery Physical Therapy
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
- Shoulder Bursitis
- Shoulder Instability
- Shoulder Labrum Tear or Labral Tear
- Shoulder Sprain or Shoulder Strain
- Shoulder Tendonitis or Calcific Tendonitis
Call our sports medicine doctor in NYC today at (212) 310-0100
or contact our office online to request an appointment.
Treating Athletes & Patients Throughout NY
Meet Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky
Dr. Nemirovsky proudly treats elite athletes, celebrities, and patients throughout the New York area. Even if you consider yourself as an everyday exercise enthusiast, our Board Certified therapist understands your goals, and most importantly, understands your fitness level. Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky has undergone all the necessary hours of training needed to performance the most cutting-edge practices in sports injury treatment and prevention.