Answering your Questions about Sports & Exercise Injury
The doctors at Manhattan Sports Therapy are sports medicine specialists based in New York City. They can diagnose the cause of your exercise injury and use the latest therapy techniques to resolve the problem. Below are common questions they get from prospective clients interested in Sports Therapy.
What Is Sports Therapy?
Sports Therapy concerns the treatment and prevention of sport and exercise-related injuries. Our doctors work with athletes and regular exercisers (even children, teens, and older folk) to restore their bodies back to optimal levels of function. Exercise and other treatments repair soft tissue and joint inflammation caused by repetitive motion and constant strain.
How Does Sports Therapy Prevent Future Injury?
You should keep your body tuned and in shape like your car–by staying ahead of the problem with regular maintenance. Sports Therapy preventative care keeps the body functioning at a higher level by getting ahead of the problem. Your muscle strength will make it less likely to sustain an injury during physical activity.
What Are The Benefits Of Sports Therapy?
Sports therapy treats muscular or skeletal injury alongside your sports participation. This means you don’t have to stop playing to heal. Our sports medicine doctors will help you recover without pausing your active lifestyle.
What’s The Difference Between Sports Therapy And Orthopedics?
Like sports therapy, orthopedics work with the musculoskeletal system. Instead of using exercise regimens as treatment, orthopedic physicians perform surgical operations to restore function. We have a network of orthopedic providers that we trust in the rare case of surgery or if a second opinion is required.
What Are The Most Common Sport And Exercise Injuries?
An exercise injury that occurs suddenly and causes severe pain. Traumatic injuries inhibit the movement or weight-bearing ability of a certain part of the body. In sports medicine, traumatic injuries are classified by severity, from mild to severe.
An exercise injury of repetitive motion and strain. Oversure injuries and general wear & tear are constant, dull pains while exercising or before and after activity. Over time, the damage from constant strain may go unnoticed until pain symptoms present.
At Manhattan Sports Therapy, we diagnose and treat sport and exercise injuries such as:
- Achilles tendon injury
- Any type of tendonitis or tendinosis
- Back pain and neck pain
- Bone spurs
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)
- Frozen shoulder or shoulder instability
- Groin injury
- Hip flexor strain
- Knee injury
- Plantar fasciitis
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Shin splints and stress fractures
- Slipped disc
- Sprain/strain of ligament, muscle, joint or tendon
- Tennis elbow and golf elbow
- …and many more
How Do I Differentiate Between Ache and Injury Pain?
To determine whether you have a muscle ache or injury, ask yourself these questions:
- Does it hurt before, during, or after exercise?
- Have you had this pain before?
- Are you able to stretch it out?
- Does it go away? Or it is constant pain?
Bottom line, muscle soreness goes away, injury pain will come back.
When Should I See A Doctor For A Sport Or Exercise Injury?
Seek diagnosis from a sports medicine specialist immediately following your exercise injury. The care you receive will reduce the duration of your injury and restore pain-free function.
How Long Does Sports Therapy Recovery Take?
Sport and exercise injury recovery time varies from patient to patient. Below are rough estimates:
- Acute Inflammatory Phase: 48 to 72 hours
- Repair and Regeneration Phase: 48 hours to 6 weeks
- Remodeling and Rehabilitation Phase: 3 weeks to 12 months
How Do You Prevent A Sport Or Exercise Injury?
You can play a critical role in the rehabilitation and prevention of sport and exercise injury by:
- Following a routine of a proper warm-up, hydration, nutrition, and cool-down.
- Spreading your athletic participation throughout the week to avoid excessive strain on the weekends.
- Consulting with a doctor on the proper exercise injury prevention techniques for your sport of choice.
- Using the proper safety equipment and protective gear.
- Knowing your limits and building your participation in a new sport gradually.
- Supporting your athletic participation with proper strength and cardio training.
- Avoiding repetitive strain of soft tissues and joints by varying the activities you participate in.
- Never ignoring an exercise injury or pain and seeking proper diagnosis and treatment immediately.
What Treatments Are Used For Sports And Exercise Injuries?
Our doctors combine Active Release Technique® (ART), Cold-Laser Light Therapy, and Cox Flexion Distraction Technique for the correction and restoration of sport and exercise injuries. These approaches to sports medicine, physical therapy, and chiropractic care start with the manipulation and mobilization of soft tissues and joints to repair musculoskeletal problems.
Manhattan Sports Therapy is a state-of-the-art facility located in New York City. Our clients range from professional athletes to everyday New Yorkers. We are proud to offer the latest techniques and treatments for the benefit of our valued patients.
If you are interested in learning more about Sports & Exercise Injury in NYC, please call (212) 310-0100 to schedule an appointment today or contact us.
Treating Athletes & Patients Throughout NY
Meet Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky
Dr. Nemirovsky proudly treats elite athletes, celebrities, and patients throughout the New York area. Even if you consider yourself as an everyday exercise enthusiast, our Board Certified therapist understands your goals, and most importantly, understands your fitness level. Dr. Rolland Nemirovsky has undergone all the necessary hours of training needed to performance the most cutting-edge practices in sports injury treatment and prevention.